Butternut Squash Galette
This Butternut Squash Galette, made with sliced butternut squash, caramelized onions, parmesan cheese, and thyme, is a delicious meatless main or side dish.
Since sharing this tomato galette, I have been thinking of other fillings I could make. With butternut squash in season, it makes perfect sense for the fall or winter. Combined with caramelized onions, fresh thyme, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, it’s guaranteed to impress. As a main dish this serves six, which would pair perfectly with a winter salad like this Brussels sprout salad, or this baby green salad with pomegranate and pecans. As a side dish, you can slice this into 8 or 10 slices.
- 2 large yellow onion, sliced 1/8th inch
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 11-inch refrigerated pie crust dough, store bought or homemade
- 12 ounces peeled and sliced butternut squash, from a 20 oz squash (see below)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, try Organic Valley Shredded Parmesan or BelGioioso Vegetarian Parmesan, for vegetarian
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large egg, beaten