Supper on the table in under 20 minutes is not a dream, it is a possibility. This blackened salmon recipe is just perfect for a quick family meal and not just super-quick, but nutritious, too. The addition of this Cajun-style adds a delicious lightly spiced flavor to the fish.
The spice mix here is simple and straightforward to make using a food processor, but can also be adjusted to your liking. Try this lightly-spicy version and adjust or add to it for future recipes. Salmon works so well with almost all spices and particularly loves warming spice too such as cumin or even a little smoked paprika. Take care to not overpower the delicate flavor of the salmon though.
For the Salmon:
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 (5-ounce) pieces skin-on salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or rice bran oil
For the Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar