Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
These little meringue cookies are lighter than air but packed with mint flavor and kicked up with chocolate chips for extra decadence. It will take great restraint not to eat them like popcorn! Buy these at the store and pay a fortune. Make them at home for pennies. Good for gluten-free and low-fat diets. If you omit the chocolate chips, they are fat-free.
- 3 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (use peppermint extract for stronger flavor)
- 1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional (see note)