Strawberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze
Homemade sweet roll recipe that makes gooey strawberry-swirled soft rolls with a creamy lemon glaze — perfect for relaxed mornings. They weren’t made from scratch, but I loved them just the same. I especially enjoyed the job of opening the packet of white, sugary glaze and spreading it over the hot rolls. If there was ever a food that brought more joy to me as a child, I can’t think of one!
I’ve made many pans of cinnamon buns over the years for my own family, and this yeasted, tender dough recipe is our favorite. This time I decided to make them with a lightly sweetened strawberry filling instead of the usual brown sugar and cinnamon.
This dough has all that going on, plus it’s so easy and hands-off to make in a stand mixer. If you don’t have a mixer — or if you just love to get your hands on dough — you can also mix the dough by hand in a large mixing bowl. A creamy glaze is the “wow” factor that makes a pan of sweet rolls so fantastic — the combo of yeasty, buttery dough, tangy-sweet strawberry filling and finally the creamy glaze with its light lemony taste is the definition of irresistible!
Leftover rolls will keep up to 2 days at room temperature. The glaze will melt and become sticky, which is fine.
- 1/4 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 cups (400 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk (almond or oat milk is fine)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for brushing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup (227 g) powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt