White Bean Tomato Basil Soup, Healthy, Hearty and Satisfying
If you enjoy tomato basil soup but think it's not really a "meal", you haven't tried this delicious White Bean Tomato Basil Soup! It's fortified with white beans (for extra protein and fiber), lots of fresh veggies and a ton of fabulous flavor!
White beans are a wonderful source of protein and are loaded with other healthy nutrients. I've also included carrots in this White Bean Tomato Basil Soup to add even more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Pureed soups are a great way to sneak extra veggies into everyday meals without anyone objecting (or knowing)! This White Bean Tomato Basil Soup comes together quickly with just one pot on the stovetop. It starts with a pat of butter and a splash of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot. Next comes onion, garlic, pesto and Italian seasoning, all sautéd together until nice and fragrant.
Then add all the remaining ingredients (except the fresh basil), bring it all to a boil then cover, lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes until the carrots are nice and tender. Add the basil and give the soup a quick puree with an immersion or regular blender till it's nice and smooth. I like to add a splash of half and half before serving to mellow out all the flavors, but that's optional, it's also delicious dairy-free.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium-size sweet onion roughly chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons purchased pesto
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can white beans canellini, navy or Great Northern, drained
- 2 medium-size medium-size carrots scrubbed (no need to peel) and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves packed
- ½ cup half & half optional
- For the garnish
- Feta cheese optional, for serving
- fresh basil leaves for garnish optional, for serving
- fresh ground black pepper optional, for serving