Beer Baked Scalloped Potatoes
With this recipe for Beer Baked Scalloped Potatoes, you might be pleasantly surprised to learn that this is a delicious lower-fat version of scalloped potatoes!
Scalloped potatoes are just about the most decadent, wonderful comfort food to add to a dinner menu. They’re fabulous with ham and turkey, and they’re good to serve with roasted chicken or pork tenderloin too. But eating a plateful of scalloped potatoes can have you feeling overloaded with fat and calories. This recipe changes all of that. It’s a somewhat lighter scalloped potato recipe using nonfat milk and a smaller addition of cheese. Onions caramelized in beer add a lot of flavor to the dish too.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1½ cups sliced onion
- 1 cup beer
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into ⅛-inch slices
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese