What’s the one thing that makes this Mushroom Soup stand out from the rest? You’ll enjoy mushroom flavor in every mouthful. As strange and obvious as that sounds, most mushroom soups are actually nothing more than sautéed mushroom bits floating in a generically-flavored creamy soup broth. But this one is 100% mushroom flavor – down to the last spoonful!
It’s easy enough to sauté up some mushrooms in butter, then add some flour, broth followed by cream, and call it a day. And while it will taste just fine, it won’t really taste that much like mushrooms, except for the bites you get with mushroom bits in it.
So in presenting you with a mushroom soup recipe I wanted to make sure it actually tasted like – gasp, shock, horror – mushrooms! And how do we achieve that? Simple: Blitz the soup! Only this way can we release all the gorgeous, sweet and earthy flavors locked up in the mushrooms into every luscious, creamy mouthful!!
- 30g / 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 400g / 14 oz white mushrooms
- 200g/ 7 oz Swiss Brown/Cremini mushroom
- 3 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp salt , cooking/kosher
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup crème fraiche or cream (any full-fat)
- Cream or extra virgin olive oil , for drizzling
- Parsley (roughly chopped), chervil (if you're feeling a bit fancy), or thyme leaves
- Bread for dunking