Bacon Green Bean Casserole
Nothing says comfort food like a bacon green bean casserole made from scratch!
Rich, creamy, savory, and oh, so delicious, a green bean casserole is a classic holiday meal for sure!
This version has the same flavors with green beans and onions but is leveled up with a rich flavorful cream sauce replacing the mushroom soup and a little bit of bacon. For Green Bean Casserole you need very simple ingredients! Green beans Fresh is best but frozen works too! Onions & Mushrooms are pan-fried and added to the sauce for lots of flavor. Bacon use regular uncooked bacon, you need the little bit of fat to cook the onions and mushrooms. Cream Sauce A simple yet decadent sauce is made with light cream, chicken broth, and seasonings. Toppings include a buttery, cheesy, bacon topping… need I say more?
- 1 ¼ pound green beans trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 slices bacon uncooked, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion finely diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup light cream
- ¾ cup chicken broth reduced sodium
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded