DIY Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
If you’ve been craving fried chicken sandwiches we’ve got you covered with this delicious crispy Fried chicken Sandwich. It’s super crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside and loaded with spices. It’s as close as you will get to the famous Popeyes chicken sandwich which is currently sold out everywhere but in my opinion, it’s so much better and surprisingly easy to make at home!
The sandwich comes together in under 30 minutes and can be prepared overnight. The chicken is first marinated in buttermilk (DIY buttermilk below) and spices then battered in a mixture of flour, corn starch, and more spices. The spices give the sandwich so much flavor but more importantly, they give it a crispy crust that is out of this world.
To make this delicious Popeyes chicken in the air fryer, simply follow the recipe above. Before frying, spray or brush the chicken with cooking oil and place directly into the air fryer. Air Fry at 375F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway or until crispy and cooked through.
For the chicken marinade
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon EACH paprika garlic powder, black pepper, salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon EACH paprika garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper (for spicy)
- 1 teaspoon EACH salt & pepper
- Spicy mayo
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon or cajun or taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp
- 4 medium-sized brioche buns
- Sliced pickles
- 3-4 cups canola oil for frying