Beef Barley Soup
Beef Barley Soup is dinner at its most earnest. Fall-apart tender beef, root vegetables, and nutty barley slow-simmered in a rich tomato-based sauce, it’s hearty, stretches to feed a crowd, and is the sort of no-fuss dinner meant for a night of cozy conversation.
This humble soup is just the sort of recipe for a laid-back evening with people you love.
Like all great beef soup recipes it does require some up-front vegetable chopping and batch searing, but the rewards of it simmering gently on the stove, then warming your belly are well worth it.
Save this recipe for a chilly day.
Winter isn’t done, and mushroom beef barley soup makes that so much more bearable.
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 3 garlic cloves
- 16 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups beef stock or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley