Whole Grain Apple Cake
This Whole Grain Apple Cake is a healthier (delicious) option for fall baking.
When you’re craving something a little sweet, but you don’t want anything over-the-top, crazy-sweet, then this whole grain apple cake is the sweet treat to bake! It’s a sweet cake with plenty of sugar and warm fall spices, but it doesn’t have a lot of fat in it. A light dusting of powdered sugar on top instead of a thick-layer of frosting makes it more like a snack cake than a dessert.
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
- ⅔ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded, unpeeled apples
- powdered sugar (if desired)