Broccoli Cheddar Soup: A Comforting Classic
Creamy, velvety, broccoli cheese soup with sneaked in veggies? Yes, absolutely. I am all in. And it is truly the most perfect creamy consistency (with the help of the potatoes) without weighing you down like you’ve just eaten a bowl of queso.
At its core, Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a celebration of simplicity and wholesome ingredients. Fresh broccoli, simmered until tender, mingles with sharp cheddar cheese to create a velvety, cheesy base that's as luscious as it is flavorful. The result is a harmonious marriage of earthy greens and rich dairy, making this soup a go-to choice for both kids and adults.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 2 cups