Chicken Marbella is a culinary masterpiece that hails from the sun-soaked shores of the Mediterranean, specifically the city of Marbella in southern Spain. This dish has gained international acclaim for its unique blend of sweet and savory flavors, making it a beloved centerpiece at dinner tables around the world.
At its core, Chicken Marbella is a celebration of Mediterranean ingredients and influences. It combines succulent chicken pieces with a vibrant medley of flavors, including briny olives, sweet prunes, pungent capers, and zesty citrus. The result is a symphony of tastes that dance on your palate, creating a harmonious balance that's nothing short of extraordinary.
- 2 cut-up chickens, 2½ pounds each, quartered, bone-in, skin-on (see note)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup pitted prunes
- ¼ cup Spanish green olives
- ¼ cup capers, with a bit of juice
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley