Gluten-Free Chicken Rice Casserole
This Gluten-Free Chicken Rice Casserole is made with creamy rice and tender chicken, mixed together with vegetables, and topped with melted cheese. A healthier version of a favorite family comfort food that’s full of amazing, cozy flavor!
This gluten-free chicken and rice recipe really is one of my ultimate go-to family-friendly dinners. It’s creamy and cheesy, filled with tender chunks of chicken, juicy mushrooms, veggies, and hearty rice. This dish is so easy to throw together and consistently tastes amazing!
I make the lightened-up cream sauce for this chicken and rice casserole with a combination of cream cheese, milk, and Greek yogurt in place of traditional canned cream of mushroom soup. It gives the casserole all the cozy, creamy flavor with significantly fewer calories and preservatives! Plus, that means it’s gluten free!
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups white long grain rice uncooked
- 3 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots thawed and pat dry
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 oz cream cheese light or regular
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley for garnish