Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce
Penne alla Vodka, minus the vodka! My Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce is a healthier version of the classic Italian pasta dish, that’s just as creamy, delicious, and loaded with peas and prosciutto.
This gluten-free pasta recipe is easy enough for a weeknight dinner, and elegant enough for a special meal. Penne alla vodka is one of my mom’s favorite dishes to order when we go out to eat. In New Jersey restaurants, this classic Italian pasta dish is made with penne noodles in a tomato cream sauce, often topped with peas and prosciutto.
- 16 oz. box of penne pasta regular, whole wheat, or gluten free
- 4 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto cut into strips or small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- half of a medium onion diced
- 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Additional grated or shaved parmesan cheese for serving, if desired