Broccoli Rice Casserole
I have a pan of comfort food for you today in the form of this healthy Broccoli Rice Casserole.
It’s fully loaded with all the best parts of the original broccoli rice casserole recipe—the creamy, cheesy inside, the scrumptious mix of veggies and rice, and the irresistibly buttery, crispy topping—and exactly none of the worst parts. This easy broccoli rice casserole is made from scratch with healthy ingredients you can feel good about.
Its family-friendly flavor will be a hit with kiddos and grown-ups alike.
Courtesy of a midwestern upbringing peppered with a large family collection of what I can only describe as “church lady” cookbooks, I consider myself a steady casserole connoisseur.
Dishes like southern broccoli cheese rice casserole were a staple at our childhood dinners, but when I started cooking for myself, I avoided them at first.
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth (14.5-ounces)
- 2 cups instant brown rice if you use white rice or non-instant rice, the cooking time and amount of liquid needed will differ
- 1 pound broccoli florets chopped into bite-sized pieces (about 8 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan