Strawberry Shortcake — made with perfectly fluffy and tender buttermilk biscuits, sweetened fresh strawberry slices and a rich, light as air whipped cream. What more could we ask for in a dessert? They’ll instantly become the highlight of the meal. And not just any strawberry shortcake — this easy strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch!This recipe has three components: the strawberry shortcake biscuits, the macerated strawberry filling, and the homemade whipped cream that goes on top.
With its buttery, perfectly sweetened biscuit base and its almost cake-like texture. That which is paired with an abundance of fresh strawberries and rich dollops of heavenly whipped cream. A trio of decadence. This is the homemade strawberry shortcake to make! Trust me, you’ll be savoring every last bite of it and maybe even sneaking a few bites of the kids’ when they aren’t looking. Frozen strawberries would work too if you don’t have access to fresh, but keep in mind the flavor won’t be quite as good and the texture won’t be the same.
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled
- 6 Tbsp (80g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (424g) unbleached all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1/3 cup (68g) granulated sugar, plus 1 Tbsp for topping
- 1 Tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk*, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, lighlty beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar