Fast and easy Lentil Chili has smoky, slightly spicy flavors, two types of beans, and lentils for loads of plant-based protein in a cozy bowl. Add your favorite toppings and dinner is served!
Chili season is officially here, and it may be my favorite dinner to make for guests. Last week I loaded up my slow cookers with chili, set out a bunch of toppings on tables on our back deck, and invited friends over for dinner. It’s always easy, fun, and a big batch of chili can feed a crowd.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (see note)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (be sure to use chili powder that is a blend, not cayenne pepper)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (sub regular paprika)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated (sub 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (tomato puree or crushed tomatoes will also work)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, corn or tortilla chips (optional, for serving)