Crispy Corn Fritters
Making fresh corn into crisp corn fritters is one of the fastest ways to turn corn on the cob into a hearty dinner (or breakfast or a snack, really). Corn fritters are essentially a quick corn cake batter studded with fresh corn, jalapeños, and chives that’s gently fried in a slick of oil. The resulting fritters have a thin, crispy exterior with a soft and moist center that’s full of crisp-tender vegetables.
This classic recipe also makes a fine fritter from frozen corn too. These corn cakes can serve as a meal on their own with a sauce for dipping, as a side for grilled or roasted meats, or as a vehicle for fried eggs for breakfast. What I’m saying here is that this corn fritter recipe is one you’ll want to know by heart so you can make it any time the craving strikes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fine white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from 3 cobs)
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil