This Beef Rouladen recipe features thinly sliced beef wrapped around bacon, pickles, carrots, and onion then braised in a red wine gravy until it’s fall-apart-tender. This German comfort food will warm your soul!
This is a classic German recipe, popular for Sunday family dinners, and always made in abundance for Oktoberfest. Everyone has their own special twist on this comforting braised beef dish, but there are a few pieces that always stay constant: thinly sliced steak wrapped around mustard, bacon, onion, and pickles, then braised to tender perfection.
Your rouladen will last 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Make sure to store your rouladen covered with the gravy. I know it may seem like a ton of gravy that you end up with, but it’s a great way to make sure your rouladen doesn’t dry out.
Reheat either in the microwave, or covered in the oven at 375F until heated through. When reheating, use lots of the gravy, again, to prevent your rouladen from drying out.
- 3 pound beef rouladen
- 3 ounce keens hot mustard
- 2 medium onions shredded or finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch sticks
- 6 pickles cut into 1/4 inch sticks
- 2 pound bacon thin cut, cut slices in half
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups water or more as needed
- 3/4 cup red wine such as Cabarnet Sauvignon or Malbec
- 1 cup all-purpose flour