Tender and moist Carrot Muffins are the perfect way to start the day. They are filled with grated carrots, applesauce, and cinnamon, and they can be topped with a smear of cream cheese frosting or served plain – either way, they’re delicious!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Ease: The muffin batter comes together in under 20 minutes without an electric mixer.
Flavor: The classic flavors of carrot cake! Sweet muffins with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. Options to add walnuts or orange zest.
Texture: Grated carrots and applesauce help to make these muffins soft and moist.
Versatility: Looking for a slightly healthier muffin? Try the ingredient swaps mentioned below. Want them a bit more indulgent? Top wit our small batch of cream cheese frosting.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon , increase to 2 teaspoons, if desired
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-½ cups FINELY grated carrots, loosely measured, not packed (about 2 medium-large carrots)
- 2 ounces cream cheese , softened to cool room temp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened to cool room temp
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus more, if needed
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or finely grated zest of ½ a small orange
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts, optional garnish