Spinach Gratin is a cheesy, tasty side dish recipe perfect for holidays and fall dinners. Also known as Creamed Spinach Casserole, this is an easy way to get all the health benefits of spinach in a simple dish. Spinach, cheese, cream, and seasonings are all mixed together to create a deliciously baked dish, and the bread crumb topping adds the perfect texture!
Spinach, cheese, cream, and more are mixed together into a casserole dish and topped with a cheesy bread crumb blend. This adds texture to the creamed spinach beneath, and all bakes together into a hot and bubbly spinach casserole that I just can’t get enough of.
This is the perfect side dish to serve for the holidays. It’s got healthy greens at its base, but it’s covered with cheese to make it extra delicious. That combo screams Thanksgiving to me! It fits right in with turkey, stuffing, green beans, and more. Scoop a big helping of this onto your plate and enjoy! Everyone around the table will be loving it too. This Cheesy Spinach Gratin is the perfect holiday side dish. Make Creamed Spinach Casserole for Thanksgiving!
For the Bread Crumb Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese good quality
For the Gratin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion chopped
- 30 ounces frozen spinach thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half ‘n half or whole milk
- 4½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan good quality
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes