Italian Sausage and Zucchini Skillet Meal
This Italian Sausage and Zucchini Skillet Meal is quick and delicious and this is a new way to use zucchini in a low-carb one-pan dinner!
I'’m excited to share this new idea for a tasty and easy Italian Sausage and Zucchini Skillet Meal! This recipe is a variation of a very old recipe for zucchini and sausage pasta sauce that was one of my favorites when I used to eat whole wheat pasta.
Now I’m not eating much pasta (and most of my readers don’t seem to want pasta) but I still love this flavor combination! And this is a whole meal made quickly in a skillet. I bet everyone likes the sound of that, right?
The original version had fresh sage leaves, but when I made it I often switched out the sage for basil so when Kara and I worked on this recipe we made that change. We also increased the amount of zucchini to make it a complete meal that makes six servings. But be sure to serve with a generous amount of Parmesan Cheese.
- 1 T + 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 19.5 ounces hot or mild Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into pieces about 1/2 inch wide)
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into pieces about 1/2 inch wide)
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock (see notes)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, washed and dried if needed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese