Black Bean Soup
This Black Bean Soup recipe is a thick and hearty favorite with tons of flavor. Black beans, veggies, and broth simmer with our favorite bold seasonings for a delicious and easy soup! It’s rich and creamy without the addition of heavy cream and full of veggies and fiber while tasting decadent. It’s a budget-friendly soup full of veggies, bacon, beans, and spices, and you can garnish with all your favorite toppings!
Black bean soup is made even heartier and tastier with some mix-ins and toppings! Put out bowls of tasty add-ins and let everyone make their own black bean soup: shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla strips or cornbread crumbles, avocado slices and sliced black olives, sliced jalapenos or diced green chiles, salsa and sour cream, guacamole or nacho cheese!
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of bacon, and your favorite fresh herbs or sliced green onions.
- 4 slices bacon chopped, or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 ½ cups bell pepper (any color) finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, finely diced
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans black beans 19 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- sour cream, green onions, cilantro optional