Peach Blueberry Cobbler
This easy cobbler recipe showcases the flavors of fresh peaches and blueberries in a dessert everyone will love! It consists of a juicy fruit layer topped by a biscuit dough that bakes to a golden brown and is wonderful served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can use fresh or frozen fruit and it can be made ahead.
It's a baked dessert that has a layer of fruit and a starchy topping.
The fruit bakes and releases its juices at the same time that the top dries and turns golden brown. A fantastic and very easy-to-make dessert!
There are different types of toppings or top crust as it's sometimes called.
Drop biscuits, the type we're using for this recipe today, is a wetter, spoonable dough that can also be lightly spread, as we do for our popular Pear Cobbler.
For the fruit layer:
- 2 pounds of peaches, before removing stones (about 1.6 pounds peeled and cored)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen without thawing
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest (optional if you want more lemon flavor)
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted